“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn”
What is Service Learning?
A credit-bearing teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with academic study and reflection to enrich the learning experience of students and strengthen community partnerships.
- Provides a balance between student learning and community issues
- Offers an opportunity to apply knowledge learned in the classroom to meaningful human, educational and environmental needs
- Provides the occasion to work on real social issues while developing a sense of civic awareness and responsibility
Benefits of Service Learning
- Attaches meaning to coursework and increases motivation
- Reduces stereotypes and facilitates cultural and racial understanding
- Develops a sense of social responsibility and citizenship skills
- Increases volunteerism with different organizations after graduation
- Enhances self-awareness and self-confidence in one’s abilities
- Improves soft-skills
How will Service Learning have a positive impact at RCC?
- Strengthens teaching and learning
- Creates a sense of social responsibility
- Improves community relations
- Increases retention and graduation rates
- Enriches the professional identity of RCC faculty