All Study Abroad programs for Spring 2021 have been canceled.
All student programming involving travel is suspended until further notice.
RCC is one of only three community colleges in the country to offer a summer Study Abroad program at Cambridge University in England. More than 165 students have enrolled in the program since its founding in 1999.
Students have the unique experience of studying at one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious universities, living on campus, and attending classes taught by Cambridge faculty.
This two-week program offers courses in five areas:
- Creative Writing
- English Literature
Students choose an area of study, and (with the help of their Rockland mentor) they select specific topic courses. The Cambridge faculty determines reading and discussion topics for each subject class; however, students work with their RCC honors mentor to develop a course of reading and a research project.
In addition to their classes, students attend daily plenary lectures and evening programs of poetry readings, lectures and concerts, as well as optional weekend excursions from Cambridge. Required written work includes two summary critiques submitted while in Cambridge, and a research paper to be completed upon return to the US.
The Cambridge University Program features:
- A two-week program at Cambridge University, UK, in July or August, depending upon courses chosen
- 4 honors credits from Rockland, readily transferable. Credits have transferred from RCC to NYU, Cornell, Harvard, Barnard, and SUNY schools, among others.
- Program cost includes tuition (Cambridge and RCC); single dorm room; full breakfast and dinner; evening lectures, poetry readings, events. Does not include airfare.
- The Science School courses are not laboratory courses.
- The Cambridge Program is open to students who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and two faculty recommendations.
- Cambridge students must be at least 18 years old when they begin their classes.
- Students not at Rockland can receive all information via e-mail.
- Scholarships are available only to students in the Sam Draper Honors Program who are either returning for their second year or completing the Honors Program.
Annual schedule for prospective students:
- Mid-October: Fall informational meeting, on the RCC campus
- Early February: Spring informational meeting. Courses and costs for summer are announced. Applications available for scholarships and the Cambridge Program
- Mid-February: Scholarship application deadline
- Early March: Cambridge Program application (with non-refundable deposit) deadline
- Mid-April: Balance of program cost due
- Mid-May: All paperwork submitted to Sam Draper Honors
- Early-June: Pre-departure meeting
Summer School, Cambridge Style
“I didn’t know what to expect but it was much more than just studying abroad,” said RCC honors student Valissa Hicks, who attended the Shakespeare session in Cambridge in August 2013, and had “the time of her life.” If she could, she would do it over again, she said. “I met some great people who I can now call my friends, along with talented professors who really made me passionate about Shakespeare.”