Addiction has become a problem in the United States, and New York is no exception. You may actually know someone with an Addiction problem and want to help. Rockland Community College has a NYS 350 hour Credentialed Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) Certification Program. This is a New York State Certification to work in the field of Addictions Counseling and individuals with a CASAC have advantages in the job market and can increase their earnings.
To receive more information, please fill out our CASAC Inquiry Form.
The CASAC program is offered as an accelerated non-credit evening/weekend program at RCC. The CASAC program is a NYS OASAS (Organization of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services) Certified Program and consists of 350 hours of instruction delivered as follows:
- 4 Modules of 10 weeks each running from the second week of September to the first week of August (10 months for complete program)
- 85 clock hours – Knowledge of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
- 150 clock hours – Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counseling
- 70 clock hours – Assessment; Clinical Evaluation; Treatment Planning; Case Management; and Patient, Family and Community Education
- 45 clock hours – Professional and Ethical Responsibilities (must include a minimum of 2 hours of Child Abuse and Maltreatment)
Admission to the program is on a rolling basis. You can start with any Module. They do not need to be taken in order.
$750.00 per Module for a total of $3000.00
Classes meet Tuesdays: 6 – 9 pm, and Saturdays: 9 am – 2:30 pm.
Module Start Dates
- Module I: September 15 – December 15, 2020
- Module II: January 9 – March 16, 2021
- Module III: March 20 – June 5, 2021
- Module IV: June 8 – July 31, 2021
* Classes will be held remotely until further notice
- You will have a major advantage in looking for a job in the field.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that this field will experience very rapid growth over the next few years.
- Many jobs in substance abuse counseling are accessible with a high school diploma and some post-secondary training, which represents a significant savings over other occupations that require a lot of schooling, and thus require a lot of money for college.
- 32 college credits from Empire State College are available upon completion of CASAC Program: 16 credits when training is finished, and 16 credits when you receive the CASAC Certification.