Placement and Assessment provides services for placement testing, placement testing waivers, some accommodated testing, credit by examination (CLEP), and Prior Learning Assessment for all RCC students to support them in the achievement of their educational goals.
Rockland Community College uses Multiple Measures to determine students English and math placement. Incoming students will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Math placements will be determined based on one of the following: students’ high school math courses, Algebra II Regents scores, SAT scores, or ACT scores and placed in the appropriate mathematics course.
- English placements will be determined based on one of the following: students’ high school GPA, English Regents scores, SAT scores, or ACT score.
If you have not done so already, please request that your high school send your high school transcripts to Admissions.
Students with College, AP or CLEP Credits
- Students who have earned a C or better in a college-level English or math course or who have AP or CLEP credits in math or English may submit an official college transcript or AP/CLEP score report for consideration to Records.
Ability to Benefit Testing
If applying for federal or state financial aid you may be required to prove “ability to benefit” (ATB) through applicable sections of the Accuplacer® assessment tests even if you would otherwise be exempt.
Foreign High school diploma holders and HSE (formerly GED) applicants must take the Placement test and test for ATB purposes.
Multiple Measures Criteria
Official copies of test scores must be submitted to Admissions. Incoming students will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- High School GPA below 74 you will receive a placement of ENG 101/098
- SAT Critical Reading score of 480 or higher or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) section score of 480 or higher;
- ACT English score of 20 or higher;
- NY State English Regents score of 75 or higher;
- High School GPA 75 or higher; you will receive a placement of ENG 101
- Final grade of 75 or above in a high school Geometry course;
- Final grade between 65-74 in a high school Algebra II course; you will receive a placement of MAT 103 – MAT 134
- Final grade of 75 or above in a high school Algebra II;
- Final grade between 65-74 in a high school Pre-Calculus course;
- NY State Algebra II Regents score 75 or above; you will receive a placement of MAT 103 – MAT 135
- SAT: Math score of 570 or above;
- ACT: Math score of 23 or above;
- Final grade of 75 or above in a high school Pre-Calculus course;
- Final grade of 75 or above in a high school Calculus course; you will receive a placement of MAT 103- 203
Prior College-Level Learning Credits are given for college-level learning acquired as a result of work experience, volunteer work or community service. Please note that these credits are not necessarily transferable to other colleges and universities. Students are strongly advised to meet with the program advisor at their transfer institution.
FAQS ABOUT PRIOR COLLEGE-LEVEL LEARNING CREDITS
- They depend on which degree or certificate the student is pursuing at RCC
- Considered part of the maximum allowable number of transfer credits
- May not exceed half the number of credits required for the Concentration/Core emphasis for all students except those entering with an Automotive Service Excellence Certification A1-A8
- Student must be currently enrolled in credit-bearing courses at RCC and complete the semester before any Prior Learning credits will be granted
PROCEDURE FOR RECEIVING PRIOR LEARNING CREDITS:
- The student may be asked to take a departmental challenge examination.
- The student may be asked to submit a portfolio (e.g. art, photography, etc.).
- Credits are assessed and approved by the Faculty Evaluator, approved by the Department Chair, reviewed by the Director of Placement and Assessment, and approved by the Provost or Vice President for Academic Affairs.
|ESL 048/ESL 049||Below 420||Below 35||Below 4.5||Below 70||A2|
|ESL 057/ESL 058||420||35||4.5||70||B1|