- Your application to the College must be processed by Admissions prior to taking the placement test.
- You are strongly encouraged to submit your high school transcript to Admissions.
- If you have taken the SAT, ACT or NYS English Regents exams you may be exempt depending on the program you are enrolled in and your score. See Exemptions
- If you are requesting extra-time and/or a calculator for the test you must contact Accessibility at 845-574-4541 before you can test. This must be done prior to getting your appointment for the placement test.
- In inclement weather, call the RCC emergency hotline 845-574-4034 for college closings or go online to www.cancellations.com
In-person placement schedule will be available soon.
Ability to Benefit Test
If applying for federal or state financial aid you may be required to prove “ability to benefit” (ATB) through applicable sections of the Accuplacer® assessment tests even if you would otherwise be exempt. The Ability to Benefit Test (ATB) includes three sections: Next- Generation Arithmetic, Next-Generation Reading and Next-Generation Writing. All sections are untimed.
This test is separate and in some cases, in addition to the College Placement test, you may or may not have already taken. You must take the ATB Test if you are in any of the categories listed below:
- Have a foreign high school diploma
- Applying for the 24 Credit-Hour HSE (formerly GED) Program
- Applying for Early Admit Program and financial aid
Ability to Benefit Exam- HSE Scores
If you do not have a high school diploma or HSE (formerly GED), you must pass a federally-approved Ability to Benefit Exam in order to be accepted to RCC. The College administers the Accuplacer exam, a computer-adaptive assessment instrument developed by The College Board, as its federally-approved Ability to Benefit test.
You must pass all three sections of the exam in the SAME testing session.
|Accuplacer Section||Federal Minimum (Required Test Score)|
|Essay||No minimum score required|
|Reading||233 Minimum passing score|
|Writing||235 Minimum passing score|
|Arithmetic||230 Minimum passing score|
|Elementary Algebra||No minimum score required|
|College Level Mathematics||No minimum score required|
Note: Early Admit Program applicants not applying for Financial Aid see if you qualify to be exempt from the placement test. See Exemptions on the Placement and Assessment webpage.
Please follow these steps before scheduling your remote testing session:
- Download and install Zoom Client for Meetings
- Test that Zoom was setup correctly. Please use the option to join with video.
- Check that your computer can run ACCUPLACER by visiting: https://www.accuplacer.org/#/systemRequirement. If you fail to pass the system requirements, we will be unable to test you.
- We will be conducting testing via Zoom. To request a remote test, please complete a Request for Remote Testing.
- After submitting a Request for Remote Testing, you will be sent an email from a Placement and Assessment staff within three business days with a date/time for your remote test.
On Test Day You will need:
- Pen and pencils
- Know your RCC I.D. number and voucher number
- Current Photo ID is required – (for example driver’s license, passport, military ID, or RCC student ID). No tests administered without proper identification.
- If you are unable to provide a driver’s license or a State ID card contact our office at 845-574-4288 and leave a message.
Prior to taking the placement test it is strongly recommended to review the test format online and to take very seriously the importance of the test in determining your academic placement.