Prepare, Prepare, and Prepare. Save time and money. A little review can make a difference.
Give the tests your best effort. Review the materials and refresh your skills.
English Placement test:
- WritePlacer essay (1 topic/50 minutes) continue to the Next-Generation Reading
Math Placement test:
- Begin test with the Next-Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics continue to either Next-Generation Advanced Algebra and Functions OR Next-Generation Arithmetic
Note: Your score on Next-Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics will determine the next section of the Math Placement Test.
If applying for federal or state financial aid you may be required to prove “ability to benefit” (ATB) through applicable sections of the Accuplacer® assessment tests even if you would otherwise be exempt.
This test is separate and in some cases, in addition to the College Placement test, you may or may not have already taken. You must take the ATB Test if you are in any of the categories listed below:
- You are a non-high school graduate and are applying for entrance into the 24 Credit HSE Program OR
- You are applying for New York State Financial Aid (TAP) and have a foreign high school diploma OR
- You are applying for both the Early Admit Program and for New York State Financial Aid (TAP).
The Ability to Benefit Test (ATB) includes three sections: Next- Generation Arithmetic, Next-Generation Reading and Next-Generation Writing. All sections are untimed.
Although the College and the Accuplacer College Board do not endorse some of the following sites, many students have found them helpful.
Accuplacer Official Website for Students
Accuplacer Web-based Study App
These extra samples will help you review the WritePlacer essay part of the English placement test.
Note: Utilizing these resources does not guarantee placement into college level courses or a higher placement score if previously tested.
- Read on-screen instructions and directions carefully.
- Take the time to do your best work.
- You cannot go back to a previous question.
- Try to use the process of elimination for multiple choice questions.
If you have a learning, physical, psychological, hearing, visual and/or medical disability and need special assistance or accommodations please contact Accessibility Services at 845-574-4541 to request specific accommodations and be prepared to provide documentation.
All accommodations must be approved and arranged before taking the Placement Test.