Residency Policy

Residency Information

Tuition is assessed based upon a student’s county and state of residence. Proof of residency is required for new students, returning students who have not been registered for the previous two semesters, and non-Rockland County New York State residents.

To be eligible for the resident tuition rate, you must provide evidence that meets one of the following requirements:

  1. Appropriate documentation of one year’s legal residency in New York State and six month’s residency in Rockland County prior to the start date of the semester.
  2. Appropriate documentation of one year’s legal residency in New York State and a Certificate of Residency from another county in New York State. A Certificate of Residency is a form issued by the county in which you reside verifying that you have lived in that county for the six months prior to attending RCC. If you have lived in more than one New York State county during those six months, verification from each county is required.

Note: A person does not acquire a New York State domicile (i.e., legal residence) simply by being physically present in New York State for one year or by residing in the State for the sole purpose of attending a New York State college or university. If your principal or permanent home has not been in New York State for a 12-month period immediately prior to the date you intend to enroll, you will be considered an out-of-state, non-resident student for tuition purposes.

Non-Citizen, Permanent Residents

In order to be considered eligible for resident tuition, non-citizen permanent residents must submit to Student Accounts a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (also known as an Alien Registration Card or Green Card). You must also meet the New York State and County requirements as indicated above.

Non-Immigrant Visas

If you entered the United States on an F (student), B (visitor), J (exchange), C, D, E3, H2, H3, H4, M, O2, P, Q or TN visa, you are not eligible for the resident tuition rate. If you entered with a Visa not listed above, please email [email protected] for more information.

Documentation to Prove Residency

Students are required to prove residency in order to receive the resident tuition rate. If you fail to present appropriate documentation, you will be charged the non-resident tuition rate.

The following are examples of appropriate documentation that provides evidence of State and County legal residency:

  • Documentation that shows the duration of your physical presence in New York State
  • Documentation that shows your family’s state of residency
  • New York State driver’s license or non-driver’s ID card
  • New York State voter registration
  • New York State motor vehicle registration
  • New York State income tax returns
  • New York State bank account statements
  • Proof of ownership of New York State real property
  • Residential lease for property located in New York State

Residency Determinations for Veterans

The College’s Veteran’s Counselor reviews Veteran Affairs’ benefit eligibility for all student veterans and notifies Student Accounts of all veterans eligible to receive the resident tuition rate.

Certificate of Residency Deadlines

If you live in a New York State county other than Rockland, a new Certificate of Residency must be submitted each year. Certificates of Residency may be issued 60 days prior to each academic period and up to 30 days after the beginning of each period. Certificates obtained 30 days after the beginning of the academic period will be applied for the succeeding period. Avoid being billed for out-of-state tuition by timely providing a Certificate of Residency.

You must request and receive your Certificate of Residency from the Treasurer’s Office in your home county.