Grade Change

Approved by the Board of Trustees of Rockland Community College on August 18, 2011. Amended December 12, 2019, and again on January 21, 2021.

A student’s grade appeal must be initiated no later than the following major semester (spring or fall) after the grade had been issued:

  • Students must request a grade change from the course instructor.
  • All requests must be in writing and be supported by documentation.

If a student’s request for a grade change has been denied by the instructor of the course, the student has 14 days from the date of that denial to appeal to the Program Director or relevant department (or, if the instructor is also an administrator the appeal will go to their supervisor). If the Program Director finds the appeal has no merit, the decision will be communicated to the student, the instructor, and the School Dean within 14 days. If the Program Director finds that the complaint may have merit, they should discuss the matter with the instructor. If the matter still remains unresolved, it will be referred to an ad hoc faculty committee within 14 days.

In consultation with the Chief Academic Officer, an ad hoc committee of faculty members will be convened by the Program Director of the relevant department. The ad hoc faculty committee will consist of one faculty member from the instructor’s department, one member of the instructor’s school, and one faculty member of another school. The ad hoc faculty committee will examine all available written information related to the dispute. Prior to a decision being reached the student and/or faculty member and/or ad hoc faculty committee have the right to request a meeting, along with others as the ad hoc faculty committee sees fit.

Upon the conclusion of the appeal hearings, a decision shall be rendered within 14 days. If the ad hoc faculty committee determines that compelling reasons exist to change the grade, it will request that the instructor make the change, after providing the instructor with a written explanation. Should the instructor decline, they should provide an explanation for refusing.

The ad hoc faculty committee, after considering the instructor’s explanation, and upon concluding that it would be unjust to allow the original grade to stand, shall recommend to the department head or to the instructor’s immediate administrative superior that the grade be changed. That individual will provide the instructor with a copy of the recommendation and will ask the instructor to implement it. If the instructor continues to decline, the faculty Chair of the ad hoc faculty committee shall then change the grade, notifying the instructor and the student of this action. Only that individual, upon the written recommendation of the faculty committee, should have the authority to effect a change in grade over the objection of the instructor who assigned the original grade.

In the case of administrative error, and with appropriate documentation, the faculty member, Program Director, or Dean may waive the one semester grade change limit.