Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are voluntary, employee-initiated, RCC-supported groups of all classifications of employees that share common interests, issues, backgrounds, dimensions of diversity and/or pursuits.
ERGs promote the value of diversity and cultural awareness and foster an environment of inclusion that attracts, welcomes, and retains diverse talent. ERGs enhance feelings of connectedness and provide opportunities for employees to seek and offer support to one another.
Forming an Employee Resource Group
As part of the College’s commitment to a respectful workplace, ERG’s are established and operated by employees with modest support from the Offices of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Human Resources. To receive support, all ERG’s must have:
- A Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary
- A roster listing at least 5 members who actively participate in ERG meetings.* ERGs are strongly encouraged to have representation from faculty and staff.
- Have bylaws with a plan of rotating leadership between RCC faculty and staff (if applicable)**
- An approved annual plan detailing how ERG efforts will support the primary objectives of the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and the Inclusive Excellence Plan.
- Continuing ERGs applying for renewal must also provide a narrative summary describing their events and activities for the past year, as well as descriptions of how the group and their activities have served their mission and goals.
* We will work with any groups worried about the membership requirement to ensure they are not prohibited from participating.
**The purpose of requiring bylaws is so that applicants have a mechanism to share with us how they operate. Applicant organizations are free to write bylaws that are appropriate for them, in whatever format they see fit. (The ERG Sample Bylaws is merely a sample to be helpful.)
In addition, ERG leaders must agree to participate in periodic cross-ERG meetings and events. The College reserves the right to approve and continue recognition of ERG’s based on existing resources, level of participation, and adherence to RCC policies and procedures.
Employees interested in forming a new resource group are encouraged to email [email protected].