Ask the Counselor | Counseling FAQs | Faculty & Staff Resources | Resources | Schedule an Appointment | Thriving Campus | Victim of Sexual Assault or Harassment?

What We Do

Students who are facing personal problems, feeling emotionally distressed, or experiencing a crisis situation can see a counselor for confidential, short-term counseling. As appropriate, referrals are made to additional resources both on and off campus.

For students interested in addressing issues related to their personal growth and development, individual counseling is available, as are small group workshops and special programs that are offered throughout the semester.

Students experiencing a mental health crisis when the Counseling Center is closed (evenings, weekends & holidays) please call 911 or Rockland County Behavioral Health Response Team at 845-517-0400 for immediate assistance.

How to schedule an appointment

Counselors are available to meet with you via phone or video conferencing (such as Zoom or Google Meets) during the pandemic.

To schedule an appointment to talk with a Counselor please email [email protected] or text or call one of the Counselors listed below:

Inez Rivera
845-580-2380 (Text/Call)
School of Nursing, Health & Wellness
School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
Janice Moore
516-564-2888 (Text/Call)
School of Business and Professional Studies
School of Education and Social Sciences
Kathy Carroll
845-535-1206 (Text/Call)
School of Arts and Humanities

If you are experiencing an emergency or are in crisis and need immediate support call the Rockland County Behavioral Health Response Team (845) 517-0400 or 911. Please note that Counselors are only available during normal office hours.

24/7 Additional Hotline Support that may be useful to you at this time:

  • The Rockland County Center for Safety and Change offers support for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and can be reached at (845) 634-3344 or by texting (845) 286-4997
  • The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255.
  • Crisis Text line: Text HOME to 741741 to connect to a crisis counselor


The College has partnered with ThrivingCampus to help make it easier for you to know your options for mental healthcare in the broader community around campus. Access ThrivingCampus by clicking on the image below.

Access off-campus mental health care at

Counseling FAQs

Personal counseling is a professional relationship designed to help you with personal problems. The counseling relationship differs from both social friendships and patient-doctor relationships. Instead of giving specific advice, counselors serve as skilled listeners who help you to clarify issues and to deal more effectively with your problems. Counselors work with you; they don’t do things to you.

All kinds… Relationships, family, drugs or alcohol, sex, self-esteem, anxiety, depression, sexual orientation, loneliness, stress, eating problems, or your studies are just some examples. Whatever it is that troubles you, we invite you to talk with us about it.

Short-term personal counseling is one of the many services provided free of charge by the Student Success Counseling Center.

Absolutely not – Counseling services are confidential. Except for rare life-threatening emergencies, everything you say remains between you and your counselor.

The counseling staff of the Student Success Counseling Center is made up of licensed professional master’s level counselors and social workers.
The Counseling Center offers short-term personal counseling – Some problems lend themselves to one or two sessions, others may require several appointments. The length of time you will be seen for personal counseling is determined by the nature of your issues, which you and your counselor will discuss.

Counselors can refer you to agencies and private therapists in the area for counseling(also called “psychotherapy”) which may continue for a longer period of time. Some providers offer services on a “sliding scale” basis, which means you are charged according to what you can afford to pay.

All Rockland Community College students are eligible for personal counseling services.

If it’s an emergency and you’re on campus, come to the Student Success Counseling Center. A counselor will meet with you, speak with you about the situation and decide next steps with you. If you have an emergency when the Center is not open, go to Public Safety or call them at 845-574-4217 or 845-574-4911. In addition, you may contact the Rockland County Behavioral Health Response Team (BHRT) by calling 845- 517-0400. They are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Faculty and Staff Resources

Everyone at Rockland Community College plays an important role in promoting students’ mental health and well-being- including faculty and staff. If you notice changes in a student’s presentation or mood, or suspect that they are dealing with a significant stressor, you can make a difference by taking action. Counselors are here to offer you and your students:
  • Short term individual counseling sessions for students
  • Consultation for faculty regarding student concerns
  • Group meetings based on need and current issues
  • Drop-in hours scheduled each semester
  • Workshops/classroom presentations for students on topics such as mental health related topics such as stress management, depression/anxiety, resilience, suicide awareness/prevention, understanding student stress in a remote environment, coping with COVID and other timely topics
Here’s how you can reach us to refer students, for consultations or to schedule presentations:
  • Inez Rivera: text 845-580-2380 (School of Nursing, Health & Wellness and School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
  • Janice Moore: text 516-564-2888 (School of Education and Social Sciences and School of Business and Professional Studies)
  • Kathy Carroll: text 845-535-1206 (School of Arts and Humanities) OR email: [email protected]

Emergency Situations

In any emergency situation, staff should take immediate action by calling Public Safety at (845) 574-4911 or by dialing 911. Emergency situations may include:
  • Expression of suicidal or homicidal thoughts
  • Expression of hallucinations
  • Drastic loss in control over emotions, causing outbursts or
  • dangerous behavior
  • Student unaware of current time or place


  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline
    • 1-800-273- TALK (8255)
    • Support for anyone feeling down, overwhelmed or having thoughts of self harm or death
  • Crisis Text Line
    • Text HOME to 741741 for free, 24/7 support
  • Trevor Lifeline
    • 1-866-488-7386
    • A free, confidential hotline for all LGBTQ+ young adults  
  • Crisis Hotline for Veterans
    • 1-800-273-8255 then Press 1

These numbers can be stored in your phone contacts, memorized, or written on other pieces of paper. It is important that you chose a way to remember these numbers that helps you to feel safe.

  • Rockland County Center for Safety and Change
    • 845-634-3344 24hr hotline
    • Text # 845-286-4997
    • “Chat Now” via website
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
    • 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or online through chat services at
    • This hotline is for anyone affected by domestic violence- from those experiencing violence to their friends and family 
  • New York State Domestic Violence Hotline
    • 1-800-621-7643 / 1-800-621- HOPE 
  • SAMSHA Hotline for treatment referrals and information
    • 1-800-662- HELP (4357)
    • Services are provided in English and Spanish, 24/7 for all individuals and/or family friends of those looking to address their substance use to discuss treatment options