Are you a Victim of Sexual Assault or Sexual Harassment?

What you can do if you have been sexually harassed or assaulted?

Rockland Community College students and employees have the right to make a report to Public Safety, local law enforcement, and/or the State Police or choose not to report; to report the incident to your college; to be protected by the college from retaliation for reporting an incident; and to receive assistance and resources from your college.

For information you can use to seek resources and support, and to report the crime to law enforcement and the campus, go to

A student may file a complaint with one or more Offices, and each Office is prepared to assist the student with deciding on where complaints may be filed, if any, and the processes associated with each Office’s complaint procedures. In addition, each Office is able to refer a student for academic accommodations, and health care services.

Important steps to take immediately after an assault:

  • Get away from the attacker to a SAFE PLACE as fast as you can.
  • Do NOT wash, comb or clean any part of your body. Do not eat, brush your teeth or smoke.
  • Do NOT change clothes so that the hospital staff can collect evidence. (In the event that changing clothes is necessary put the clothes worn in a brown paper bag, not plastic.)
  • Do NOT touch or change anything at the scene of the assault.
  • Seek medical attention. You may have injuries that are not present yet. Even if you have no physical injuries, medical care is important to reduce risks of pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases. To preserve evidence, ask the hospital to conduct a sexual assault kit exam.
  • Should you decide to report later, it is possible that physical evidence can be collected for up to 5 days.
  • If ON CAMPUS, call Public Safety or 911 immediately.
  • If OFF CAMPUS, call 911.

If you do not want to report the assault to Public Safety or local law enforcement, you may contact confidentially supportive resources on and off campus, for contact information, visit Options for Confidentially Disclosing Sexual Violence.

What you can do to stay safe?

  • Request a Security Escort. This service is available for day and evening students. Contact Public Safety for assistance.
  • Travel in small groups of two or three students.
  • Do not tolerate unwanted sexual advances.
  • Use emergency phones located throughout the campus.

If a sex offense occurs, Public Safety will inform the student of the option to notify the police and will assist in notifying the police, in obtaining medical assistance and campus counseling, if required and requested. You can be assisted by Public Safety in notifying local police. In contacting Public Safety you are not obligated to contact the local police.

What accommodations are available?

The College, when requested by the victim, will make every possible effort to provide reasonable accommodations to class schedule and on-campus working situations, including the opportunity to withdraw from or retake a class without penalty, and access academic support such as tutoring services, regardless of whether the victim chooses to report the crime to Public Safety or local law enforcement.

In situations where it is necessary, the College will take immediate steps to protect victims pending the final outcome of an investigation. These steps include the accommodations listed above in addition to issuing no contact orders. Pending resolution of the complaint, the accused may be prohibited from contacting the victim and may be placed on suspension or denied access to campus. Also, the College may change the course schedule of the accused.

Students’ Bill of Rights
Options For Confidentially Disclosing Sexual Violence
Sexual Assault, Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment FAQs
Sexual Violence Response Policy