The IT Support Professional – Desktop Support will prepare you for an entry-level role in IT support. Topics include installation, repair, configuration, maintenance and management of computer hardware, operating systems, and software in home and corporate environments, along with an introduction to networking and security.
Courses include one attempt at the TestOut® Client Pro and TestOut PC Pro® performance-based certification exams, passing both of which is required in order to earn the microcredential. Students must download the digital certificate and submit the original certificate to the Records Office to be eligible for the microcredential.
Courses also prepare students for these industry-recognized IT Certifications*:
- CompTIA® A+ Core 1 (220-1001) and Core 2 (220-1002)
- Microsoft® MD-100 Windows 10
- Microsoft® MD-101 Managing Modern Desktops
*Students are eligible to purchase discount exam vouchers directly from Pearson VUE.
Associated job roles:
- Desktop Support Specialist
- IT Support Specialist
- Help Desk Technician
- Computer Support Specialist
CYB 11700 - Windows Desktop OS Support
This course provides the knowledge and skills needed to install, configure and support a Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating System. Topics include hardware, imaging, networking, application management, monitoring, maintenance, and system protection.
CYB 24900 - PC Maintenance
This course is designed to provide students with the fundamental concepts pertinent to computer hardware and various operating systems. Emphasis is on hardware, configuration, upgrading, and troubleshooting for support and network management personnel. The student will be able to identify and configure the principal components of present-day personal computers and perform tasks such as installation of memory, operating systems and drivers. Hands-on experience with system boards, adapters, video monitors, and power supplies are included. This course helps prepare students for the industry-recognized CompTIA® A+ exam.
TestOut® Client Pro Certification
The TestOut® Client Pro certification exam measures an examinee’s ability to complete tasks related to the following topics:
TestOut® PC Pro Certification
The TestOut® PC Pro Certification exam measures an examinee’s ability to install, repair, configure, secure, and manage the following systems and devices:
- Computer Operating Systems
- PC Hardware
- PC Software
- Basic Networking Devices and Printers
- Mobile Devices
Method(s) of delivery: Asynchronous, Virtual, In-person
Credit or Non-credit: Credit
Minimum Grade Proficiency: B-
Minimum TestOut® Certification Proficiency:
- Must achieve 1440 passing rate on TestOut® Client Pro exam (Non-credit)
- Must achieve 1420 passing rate on TestOut® PC Pro exam (Non-credit)
(Grades will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Students who meet the grade proficiency are eligible to earn the microcredential. If a grade is earned below the proficiency level, the course grade cannot be used toward the microcredential, but is eligible for graduation requirements.)
Credits Earned Upon Completion: 8
- Demonstrate a variety of skills with installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting desktop operating systems
- Develop critical thinking, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Pass TestOut® Client Pro Certification (Accredited by: TestOut Corporation)
- Pass TestOut® PC Pro Certification (Accredited by: TestOut Corporation)
- Design Installation and configuration of computer hardware, software and operating systems
- Printer installation, configuration and management
- Application management
- System backup and recovery
- System updates
- Firewall configuration
- Remote assistance
- User and group management
- File system management
- Mobile device configuration
- Network setting configuration
- Authentication and authorization management
- Resource sharing
- Mobile device management
- System optimization, monitoring and maintenance
- Incident response
- Risk management
- Organizational security policies
- Critical thinking and troubleshooting
Visit the Student Accounts page for information on tuition and fees.
Learn more about our degree and certificate programs.