A microcredential in food preparation from RCC validates to employers that the earner has achieved the skills and competencies necessary to excel as a culinary prep cook in the food industry. This microcredential is obtained by completing coursework and the ServSafe Food Handler certification, accredited by the National Restaurant Association. A student who already holds a valid certification may submit their original ServSafe Food Handler certificate to the Records Office for validation toward the microcredential.
CUL 10400 - Food Prep I
This course introduces the student to basic kitchen techniques. Students will learn proper knife skills and the techniques for making stocks, soups and sauces. Through demonstration and participation, students become familiar with poaching, roasting, braising, sautéing and other methods used in the preparation of meats, poultry, fish, vegetables, salads, potatoes and starches. Professional uniform is required as prescribed by the Hospitality discipline.
CUL 20700 - Food Prep II
Through hands-on participation, the student will expand on their kitchen knowledge learned in Food Prep I. Various cooking methods will be used such as: stir frying, deep frying, smoking and steaming. Students will learn the value of using ingredients from a variety of sources both locally and globally. Recipe creation and menu planning are also covered. Using the kitchen techniques and menu knowledge learned throughout the course students will compete in a “Chopped style” competition using a mystery basket of ingredients. Professional uniform is required as prescribed by the Hospitality discipline.
HOS 10000 - Sanitation Management
The understanding of sanitation and food safety management in the hospitality industries are the foundation of this course. Students are prepared for the food & service industry toward a ServSafe certification testing, which is required and monitored by the NYS Health Department. A score of 75% or better will be rewarded with a National Restaurant Association ServSafe Certification.
ServSafe Food Handler Certification Exam
Students will earn skills badge if test is passed at RCC with a score of 75% or better. Accredited by National Restaurant Association.
Pre-requisite(s): CUL 10400 pre-requisite to CUL 20700
Method(s) of delivery: Online, in-person, ServSafe exam proctored by faculty
Credit or Non-credit: Credit
Minimum Grade Proficiency: B-
Minimum Food Handler Certification Proficiency: Must achieve 75% passing rate on exam (Non-credit)
(Grades will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Students who meet the grade proficiency are eligible to earn the microcredential. If a grade is earned below the proficiency level, the course grade cannot be used toward the microcredential, but is eligible for graduation requirements.)
Credits Earned Upon Completion: 11
- Demonstrate the proper use of paring, boning and chef knives in cutting a variety of fruits and vegetables
- Prepare stock from scratch while exhibiting proper cooling, storage, and freezing techniques
- Prepare cheese and other dairy products
- Debone a chicken and butcher assorted poultry while demonstrating proper poultry preparation and sanitation
- Demonstrate how to butcher and cut various cuts of beef, lamb, veal, pork and game using various methods and exhibiting proper sanitation
- Prepare flat and round fish, filet fish, shuck oysters and clams, and prepare fish properly
- Demonstrate proper usage of equipment such as burners, deck ovens, kettles, convection ovens, processors, woks, tilting braisers and all other equipment for food preparation
- Prepare pasta, use the pasta machine, create potato, rice and grains from recipes
- Create a variety of hot and cold salads and vegetables using recipes and the textbook
- Complete ServSafe Food Handler Certification and Sanitation principles
(Industry Partner: National Restaurant Association)
- Knife skills
- Understanding foundations in culinary arts
- Cooking methods and techniques
- Menu planning
- Equipment use and identification
- Product identification
- Kitchen etiquette and safety
- Food safety
- Sanitation management
Visit the Student Accounts page for information on tuition and fees.
Learn more about our degree and certificate programs.